23 October 2015

Book Reviews: Fifteen Postcards and The Marshall Plan

These are my reviews as they appeared on Goodreads.

Fifteen PostcardsFifteen Postcards by Kirsten McKenzie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this book very much. I was riveted to the story, although as it went on I became confused by how all the characters were going to tie together. I kept reading though, anxious to find out.

The attention to detail with the antiques and their historical settings was wonderful. I could smell the mustiness of the antique shop and incense of India. I lost track of the family tree, however, and there was a lot of time spent in the past with characters that ended up not having much to do with the final story. I also felt there were some loose ends, so I hope that means there’s a sequel in the works. I’m curious to see where Sarah’s adventures continue!


The Marshall PlanThe Marshall Plan by Olivia Folmar Ard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This story is a great examination of that difficult time many of us face when we’re finished with school but not quite working in the careers we just spent so many years studying to work in. Are you an adult yet? Or are you a big kid still?

I wanted to give this one five stars but I couldn’t quite get there. Technically the writing is excellent but I found the characters very frustrating. I couldn’t figure out exactly why Molly kept putting off marrying Gavin when 1) she kept saying she loved him so much and 2) it would have solved a number of practical issues such as roommates and living expenses. But I also didn’t get exactly why she loved him so much. You don’t have to love everything about your partner but she seemed downright mean about his choices of hobbies.

All that aside, I still found The Marshall Plan a compelling read. I wanted to see what would happen with Molly, if she would solve her problems or create new ones.

View all my reviews on Goodreads.

No comments: